Tag: 爱上海419龙凤后花园

Attempt to appeal 60s Scoop settlement tossed for extreme lack of evidence

Attempt to appeal 60s Scoop settlement tossed for extreme lack of evidence

first_imgTORONTO – A last-ditch effort to challenge the court-approved settlement of the ’60s Scoop class action failed Friday when a judge tossed the novel attempt as lacking any substance.In his decision, Judge John Laskin of the Federal Court of Appeal said the applicants had provided no support for their highly unusual motion seeking leave to appeal the settlement.“The evidence filed by the applicants is inadequate in the extreme,” Laskin wrote.The ruling, barring any further court machinations, paves the way for implementation of the $750-million class-action settlement. The federal government had said it could not proceed with payouts to victims pending finality in the court proceedings.The request to appeal the agreement finalized over the summer rather than opt out — fewer than a dozen class members did so — came from a group of 11 claimants who said they were Scoop victims, although two of the plaintiffs subsequently dropped out of the proceeding.They filed their application through a law firm that had been shut out of the $75 million in legal fees agreed to as part of the class-action settlement.Among other things, they alleged they were excluded from the process that led to court approval of the agreement that would pay survivors as much as $50,000 a piece for the harms done when they, as children, were taken from their Indigenous families and placed with non-Indigenous ones. They also expressed unhappiness over the fees awarded to the lawyers who negotiated the deal.Laskin noted the applicants had failed to show they were survivors of the ’60s Scoop and therefore members of the class. Nor did they provide evidence that an appeal of the settlement would be in the best interests of survivors, he said.One of the applicants, Joan Frame, of Hamilton, had alleged to The Canadian Press that the lawyers who negotiated the settlement — some of whom worked on the case for free for the better part of a decade — “resorted to trickery” to get the agreement.“To allow people to win illegally and make money off our backs and suffering again should not be allowed to happen,” Frame had said.Laskin also took issue with such assertions, saying the applicants had offered no evidence in support.While it is normal in litigation for the losing party to be on the hook for the legal costs incurred by the winners, the winning lawyers are seeking costs personally from the lawyer who filed the appeal motion given the serious misconduct allegations he made against them.Laskin declined to award costs until Jai Singh Sheikhupura with Vancouver-based Watson Goepel has had an opportunity to make submissions. He has until Nov. 19 to do so.“We are pleased that the Federal Court of Appeal has cleared away the last impediment to the settlement being implemented,” said Kirk Baert, one of the lawyers involved in the class action. “Now the settlement funds can flow to the survivors as intended.”The $75 million in legal fees, which the federal government agreed to pay to four legal firms separately from the compensation to the Scoop survivors, became a flashpoint earlier this year when Ontario Superior Court of Justice Edward Belobaba said they were far too high.last_img read more

No decision on Huawei and 5G before fall federal election call Goodale

No decision on Huawei and 5G before fall federal election call Goodale

first_imgOTTAWA — Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says Canadians will have to wait until after this fall’s federal election to find out whether Chinese tech giant Huawei can provide equipment for the country’s next-generation 5G wireless network.Goodale tells The Canadian Press that Canada needs more information from the United States about the nature of the potential security threat posed by the state-owned company.Goodale says that’s not likely to happen before campaigning begins for the Oct. 21 election, which is expected to get underway sometime in early September.Goodale was speaking after Canada and its Five Eyes intelligence allies wrapped a key meeting today that began with divisions over whether to let Huawei supply the equipment for the 5G system.The United States, along with Australia, has banned Huawei, citing concerns that it is an organ of Chinese military intelligence — a charge the company denies.Canada’s eventual decision is entwined with a broader political dispute with China that has seen the People’s Republic imprison two Canadian men following the RCMP’s decision to arrest Huawei senior executive Meng Wanzhou on an American extradition warrant.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Heres A Timetable For When Knicks Fans Should Run Out Of Patience

Heres A Timetable For When Knicks Fans Should Run Out Of Patience

By any standard, the New York Knicks’ 2014-15 season — team President Phil Jackson’s first at the helm — has been an unmitigated disaster.It’s a fact that Jackson himself couldn’t avoid acknowledging in a message he issued to fans (particularly season-ticket holders) this week. “While I know this has been a challenging season for our team on the court, I can also tell you that everyone in the organization is working tirelessly to get our Knicks back to a place where we are once again competing at the highest level,” Jackson said.In the message, Jackson requested that fans be patient as the team works on its long-term plans. (“I ask that you remain optimistic and hope you will join us on our continued journey as we build a team that once again reflects the spirit of being a New York Knick.”) But what should Jackson’s rebuilding timetable look like? The legendary former coach signed a five-year deal last March. Given the particulars of the 2013-14 Knicks team he inherited (their average age, Simple Rating System scores relative to the league and the Eastern Conference, and the wins above replacement of their top player), how quickly should Knicks fans have expected Jackson to turn things around?To answer that question, I ran a series of logistic regressions using every non-playoff NBA team since the league expanded to 27 teams in 1989-90, estimating the likelihood of a team like the Knicks eventually returning to the postseason and reaching various SRS milestones within the five years of Jackson’s contract. These probabilities should serve as a rough guideline for how quickly the Knicks should have expected to return to respectability when Jackson came on, and when patience with Jackson should start to wear thin if the Knicks continue to languish.In some ways, Jackson is already far behind schedule. Based on historical trends, we’d expect 68 percent of Knicks-like teams to return to the playoffs within one season. (Instead, New York is currently 19.5 games out of the last playoff spot in a weak Eastern Conference.) But Jackson has also described his “ultimate goal” as bringing an NBA title back to New York after a 42-season drought, and to do that, a team typically has to be better than just a fringe playoff qualifier. The 25th percentile NBA championship team since the 1976 ABA-NBA merger had an SRS around 5 — a qualification that only five teams in 2014-15 met (after rounding up).That’s a level of performance our model says the Knicks are unlikely to attain, even within five years. But there was a 50 percent chance that the Knicks would reach the tier right below that, with an SRS of 3, by the end of Jackson’s contract. And progress toward that goal might be best judged three seasons in; while we’d expect a Knicks-like team to post an SRS of 3 within two seasons less than a third of the time, the probability of checking off that milestone within three seasons was 44 percent.In other words, while the Knicks have been absolutely awful this season, it’s still too early to ignore Jackson’s pleas for patience if building a contending team is the goal. We probably won’t really know what kind of progress he’s made in that direction for another couple of seasons. read more

Exhibition Season Over Team USA Ready For Olympics

Exhibition Season Over Team USA Ready For Olympics

The USA men’s basketball team could face Spain in the Olympics on August 12. Tuesday, the Americans delivered the message that the gold is theirs to take.With Carmelo Anthony coming off the bench to score 23 points in the first half and Team USA’s defense clamping down, the U.S. backhanded the No. 2 team in the world, Spain, 100-78, in Barcelona.It was a win that signified Anthony and Co. are ready for the London Olympics.“We knew that this was a big game,” U.S. guard Chris Paul said. “We approached it like (was a big game) and it was a good win for us.”The rematch of the 2008 gold-medal game wasn’t much of a match. Spain led by nine points early and then were hit with a barrage by Anthony, the New York Knicks forward.“It was a good test for us tonight, but the exhibition games are over, the (niceties)  are over and we look forward to the real challenge of going to London,” said LeBron James, who had 25 points.Pau Gasol scored 19 points and Oklahoma City forward Serge Ibaka, a native of the Republic of Congo who became a Spanish national last year, had 16.They’re still the best two teams in the world and favored to meet again in the Spain would have a different look, as Marc Gasol was held out of this one while recovering from a left shoulder injury and backup point guard Sergio Rodriguez also sat out.Spain’s players said the bigger priority was preparing for London. The Americans responded that the Spaniards, playing in front of their home fans, would be compelled to go all out in hopes of a victory.Spain seemed to be playing for real, but was simply overmatched and the Americans eventually ran away from them.“Well, it was definitely a game that we would have loved to play better as a team,” Gasol said. “We made too many mistakes which they capitalized and they played their game. They’re a quick unit, very athletic and once they were able to convert a few fast-break opportunities due to our turnovers, it was hard for us.” read more

LABOUR MINISTER HON DSHANE GIBSON RESPONDS TO LATEST EMPLOYMENT FIGURES

LABOUR MINISTER HON DSHANE GIBSON RESPONDS TO LATEST EMPLOYMENT FIGURES

first_img Hurricane Jose Not A Threat to The Bahamas, For Now Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Bi-lateral talks with Bahamas to resume, UK gives green light to high-level TCI delegation Related Items:bahamas, department of statistics, shane gibson, unemployment Recommended for you Bahamian music legend gunned down at home in Turks and Caicos Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, 13 Jan 2015 – STATEMENT FROM THE HON. D. SHANE GIBSONMINISTER OF LABOUR, N.I., PUBLIC SERVICE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE13th January 2015On latest employment numbersThe Ministry of Labour takes note of but is not surprised by the latest preliminary unemployment report released by the Department of Statistics indicating that the unemployment rate nationally is 15.7%.The government of The Bahamas has been hard at work on behalf of the Bahamian people in securing a brighter future. We have said repeatedly that we were engaged in the necessary preparatory work or heavy lifting and putting all of the necessary pieces in place to ensure a full economic recovery.The government is confident that the economy of The Bahamas is turning the corner and 2015 will be a banner year economically. The opening of multi-billion dollar Baha Mar resort is projected to create some 5,000 direct jobs. The opening of Mahogany, a refurbished Holiday Inn and Quality Inn, the refurbishment of the Hilton, the construction of a new Hotel, marine village and boardwalk on Bay Street and other project announcements foreshadowed by the Prime Minister promise will no doubt add to the country’s economic stimulus, creating many more jobs and entrepreneurial opportunities for Bahamians.During his major trade mission to China, the Prime Minister has met with both the government leadership and leaders in the business community both in Beijing and Shangai. The Bahamas has inked a reciprocal air services agreement between the civil aviation authorities of both countries to facilitate increased airlift to bolster our tourism industry. Additionally, both the tourism and the financial services sectors are expected to strengthen further with The Bahamas becoming a hub for the trading of the Chinese rmb Yuan. Further, Prime Minister Perry G. Christie is in Shangai today along with Baha Mar Chairman Sarkis Izmirlian and other senior executives to meet with major hotel and airline operators with a view to attracting significant business to The Bahamas.The Prime Minister is on record during his New Years interview that his government will make a “substantially strong impact on unemployment” in 2015, pointing out that his government has approved several projects that will result in increased employment and investment opportunities for Bahamians. “You’re going to find more and more jobs created and there will be construction jobs and there will be completion jobs” said the Prime Minister so Bahamians are encouraged to do their part and avail themselves of all job training opportunities through the National Training Agency and other private agencies as we build on the more than 8,800 jobs created over the last 30 months.Job and entrepreneurial opportunities are about to come available shortly in large numbers and Bahamians everywhere must be positioned to take full advantage of these opportunities as we prepare our country for long term growth and prosperity.last_img read more

Jan Siewert confirmed as Huddersfield Town boss

Jan Siewert confirmed as Huddersfield Town boss

first_imgEnglish Side Huddersfield have confirmed the appointment of Jan Siewert as their new head coach.English Side Huddersfield have confirmed the appointment Siewert, 36, has left his role as Borussia Dortmund’s reserve-team coach and signed a two-and-a-half year deal with the Terriers.“Huddersfield Town is delighted to announce the appointment of Jan Siewert as its new head coach,” the club said in a statement obtained via the the Telegraphandargus..“The 36-year-old joins the Terriers from German side Borussia Dortmund II, where he held the position of head coach, signing a contract running until the summer of 2021.”Manchester United v Huddersfield Town - Premier LeagueMatch Preview – Huddersfield Town vs Manchester United Sean Lunt – May 5, 2019 Manchester United travel to Huddersfield Town knowing only a win will do to ensure their hopes of finishing in the top four stay alive.Huddersfield owner and chairman Dean Hoyle added: “I’d like to begin by officially welcoming Jan to Huddersfield Town. I’m tremendously excited about working with him as our new head coach.“Let me start by addressing the obvious. We enjoyed tremendous success under our previous head coach, David Wagner, and we’ve subsequently appointed a new head coach that bares many similarities to him; a young, aspirational German from Borussia Dortmund II.“However, that does a disservice to Jan, who is his own man. There is much more to this appointment than that.”last_img read more

The 43yearold Fred Hall Show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds

The 43yearold Fred Hall Show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds

first_img Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Posted: March 29, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings The 43-year-old Fred Hall Show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds March 29, 2019center_img DEL MAR (KUSI) – One of the largest outdoor recreation shows in San Diego is going on during the last weekend of March at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.The show features nearly 500 booths, hundreds of boats, more than 200 outdoor recreation seminars over four days, according to the Fred Hall website.For more information click here. Updated: 2:57 PM KUSI Newsroom 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settingslast_img read more